View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM

I was on the first rifle hunt which was my first ever time on the base. I had a great time hunting with a good friend that had previously hunted the base so he was able to show me around and get a grip on the area. We hunted together on the first day and I was able to get my first mule buck while hiking the river banks. (Thanks snowman!)
Day2 was solo but started off with good action as I found a great buck I estimated at 170" but the brush was too thick for a shot. Wind was strong the rest of the day and no more sightings of any animals.
Day3 was solo again but I was back to the spot I saw the good deer the day before. Within an hour after first light I stumbled upon him and took a chance at a shot through some thick buck brush. One shot and I had my second buck down. I took my time to skin and process the deer trying to enjoy the experience and let it all sink in knowing I will be waiting another 10 months till the next season.
The numbers: buck one 156", buck two 177". I had a great experience on the base and willl be returning for future hunts. I saw much more shinnanigans happening in the area I live then I did while on the base. Good luck to the rest of the hunters on the base.