View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM

Default charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
After a few purchases, and returns.... I found a nice battery from Interstate. 210 reserve minutes, 160 bucks. I originally purchased an Optima, but at 250 bucks all I got was 140 reserve minutes. So I returned that one.

I ran my 50lb MinnKota all weekend, and it was still going strong at the middle of today when I pulled my canoe from the lake, despite the battery level reading low/recharge.

So here is a twist to this situation. Camping far away from electricity has left me with either hauling a buncha batteries, short fishing trips... or a generator OR solar panel to recharge my cells. I just don't think that to "run" my motor, I need to rely on internal combuston to charge my cells.... Sooooo....

Does anyone run a solar panel on their RV? or to charge these big deep cycle cells??? Cambodian Tire sells a large panel for a hundred bucks......Use it or lose it? --- On another note If I hook up my 12V to my tent trailer without a generator, can I also add a solar panel to the system to keep the cell up to power by charging it during the day, when the least amount of electricity is being used?? Or do I have to isolate the cell, and sharge it seperatly from my trailer system... Any help guys would be greatly appreciated!!
Fisherman Guy:

I have a good solar panel on my RV for the 2 x deep cycle 6 volt batteries while "Dry Camping". System works great. I had a DC plug installed so I could use my apnea machine when dry camping. I use a DC/AC converter so I can charge AA batts for my portable GPS and phones if necessary. I can run a charger supplying more amps (10) but not good for the batteries.

With that being said, the charging system in my Lund or portable chargers need to charge around 2amps as recomended by the battery manufacturers. It takes hours to charge the 2 x 12 volt deep cycle batts in the boat as per mfg's recomendations. It will be difficult to charge a deep cycle battery(s) from solar on your RV unless plugged in for an unrealistic amount of time when you would probably be on the water during daylight hours. Small quiet(!) generator or second battery(s) to charge while on the water is an option. It's what I use.