View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Pull a bullet out of an animal and compare it to the same bullet that is unfired. Now study the formula used to derive SD. Look back at the bullets. Rub your chin thoughtfully. Repeat.

If you really want to blow your mind. Pull two of the same bullets out of a dead animal and repeat the above scientific process. Kapow! Mind blown.
IMO sectional density, along with a good number of other variables that we use as comparators between cartridges and bullets, are merely a complicated way of breaking very simple, common sense type concepts down into tables full of numbers so that gun nuts can obsess about this type of BS minutia.

SD, ft lbs, fps... they all more or less work as a rough general comparator when comparing apples to apples, but the more the cartridges and calibers being compared differ from each other, the more the numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, rather than as scientific fact. Case in point, trying to compare 6.5mm and .224 cal terminal performance on big game by looking at an SD chart

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-16-2018 at 01:19 PM.