View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Default 2020 antelope

After 12 years of priority, i finally pulled my antelope archery tag. I’ve been scouting since mid June, and while I’ve found some stomper bucks, none of the super big ones stayed in the same area. This buck i had pictures of every single time i went out there - he was always in the same 1/2 section of EID land. Him being the best buck I’d been able to see reliably, he was my #1 target. Opening week, we got on him a few times, and he responded twice to the decoy - coming in to 85 yards or so twice. That’s the closest he would come, before turning around to go back to his does. This morning i drove out there and saw him immediately - bedded with his does only about 40 yards off the road allowance.
I drove past him, none of them paid the truck any attention, so i ditched it about 150 yards past them, and used the ditch as cover to belly crawl closer. They were in a perfect spot from my angle, as there was a small silver willow bush about 5 yards inside the fence, and 52 yards from him that i was able to use as cover to get to my knees, draw my bow, ease back and shoot him in his bed. The arrow cut through the bottom of his heart - he only went about 100 yards before tipping over dead.
Definitely not the most difficult hunt I’ve ever been on - from the time i left the truck to the time the arrow hit him, it couldn’t have been more than 25 minutes. Still, it was super exciting, and now i can focus on finding my son his drop tine muley!

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.