View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
We got to the bottom of a valley @ 10AM. Hopped up 100 yards and bugled. Instant response! I could see 6 cows 75 yards out, and my partner saw the bull trailing them. It appeared they were headed up mountain to a patch of dark timber we knew they used as a bedding area.

They were on the move so we kept moving 100 yards and bugling, and he would also bugle back, always moving away. We played this until 1:30 and as we were nearing the dark timber we sat down, and let him and his cows bed as I knew he wouldn't leave them until they were settled.

2:30 we crept into a small opening 100 yards away from the dark timber. I could see cows bedded and I screamed a bugle at him. Instant response and I cut him off with a challenge bugle. In the meantime two calves came into the opening and I was able to chirp with them for 5 minutes and was full draw on one, but didn't shoot.

The bull then bugled again and didn't appear to have left his bed. I screamed a bugle and raked a tree while one of the calves was staring at me 30 yards away. I looked down and saw the bull coming.

He came to the edge of the opening 27 yards from us and raked a tree for 5 minutes (seemed much longer!). He stepped sideways and bugled straight at us!!

The calves were still in the opening and the moved down slope, and I was worried the bull would follow, but he took another step behind a tree and I drew back. One more step and he would be broadside at 25 yards. Takes the step, try to stop him, but he took one more.

I had an opening of 3" to get the arrow through. I talked myself out of the shot and back into it and let it go. 4:00PM

He ran down 40 yards and the rest is history and sore feet!

Awesome story. Lots of patience and persistence. Also the experience of knowing when to sit back, and when to move in and challenge.

Masterful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk