View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Sage the comment about paying us more is because these Traplines are businesses. It's very difficult to force a business owner to sell a product at a loss, in fact it doesn't happen. Wolves are much the same. If it costs me $2,000 in fuel, let alone my time to go out and trap just a few wolves I'm losing money each year I do it.
Take nube's situation with his mangy wolves, 8 out of 10 were useless. That's not his fault, just the way it goes sometimes. Now he still did the ungulates in his area some good, but his business lost money on the deal. If the province was subsidizing us at least he wouldn't have lost money.
Now to hire a "Professional" to come on all our lines and take care of the problem would also cost a fortune. How much per day would you pay a team to snare wolves full time ? (Leg holding them would be out of the question due to the vast area they would have to cover)
Haul and maintain 40-50 bait stations across thousands of square miles and who would skin theses wolves ? Or would they just get disposed of like the cougar ?

The province already has hundreds of volunteers (basically) in place. Utilizing us to do the job required only makes sense. But if it costs us a few hundred in fuel plus a couple days of our time, plus 6-8 hours of skinning to make $300 gross on a wolf it just doesn't pay. I say $300 because although we do get some high dollar tanable furs, lots are just trim.
Great Post TD .. As far as Im concerned , the guys on here that are catching wolves " are the professionals " . keep up your good work , too bad you arent being compensated for it .