View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Default My Letter .

I sent this Letter to Mr Knight , Stelmach , and The Deputy Minister .

To Mr Mel Knight. Febuary,10,2010

Firstly I’d like to thank you for the accessibility to reach you. Also would like to say how we are so very lucky in the Province of Alberta, to have such great recourses for Outdoorsmen and women and Kids that this Province has to offer. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I’m a very avid Outdoorsmen, Particularly my time is Spent Fishing. I spend 200 plus day out on the water a year. I also Guide fishing, in this Province. So I see allot of good and bad things.

Mr Knight, the Reason I contact you is, my displeasure of the possibility of Commercial netting at Pigeon Lake. Pigeon lake has been closed to mainly Catch and release fishing for Walleye (Except for holders of Walleye draw system ) . The limits one can go home with , for Perch , Whitefish , And Northern Pike , have been dropped amensly . I don’t really care about that, I am mainly a Catch and release fishermen .But once in Awhile like to take a few home for the family.

As you may know that this province has huge Lake to fishermen ratio. I cannot find an exact number, but I believe it to be huge. Fishing is one of the fastest growing sports. It’s something a person can do no matter fitness level, age, gender, and so on. It really Upsets me, knowing that after Last year when SRD Held meetings on Pigeon lake. I was there and attended both meetings, As Pigeon lake is one of my favourite bodies of water to fish. Lots of Good Information was talked about in these meetings. One of the Top things that were talked about was Commercial Netting. I might not be a Biologist, but I can tell you with all the Time I spend on that lake, the fishery cannot Handle Commercial netting.

Wouldn’t it defeat all purposes of, having a tagging system, changing the Regulations to the lake, be enough proof that the Fishery is in trouble. I can tell you In July and August of 2009 the Shore lines were littered with Dead Whitefish, from summer kill. As the Oxygen and so on .I think it would a Smart Idea for Our Elected Officials to step back and look at the big picture here. If we want this Resource to last for many generations, so our Children’s Children can have the opportunity we have, the commercial fishing not just on Pigeon Lake, but In the Province of Alberta needs to be stopped.

You can put all the numbers down in front of me, but that doesn’t prove the facts of being out on the water and seeing whets going on. My Knight I Invite you to come fishing with me or any Other Guide or your typical fishermen .I will Show you the problems, rather than having all the facts in the world and numbers crammed down your Throat. Numbers are only good to a point.

I thank you for your Time and Opportunity to express my Displeasure with the Netting of Pigeon Lake. Lets Try to save our fishery .

Yours Sincerely

BBJ.

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 02-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.