View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cartridge selection is largely moot. That is a simple reality. Bullet selection is more important and your ability even more so.
This man having shot a pile more elk than a lot of us, is offering very sage advice, here.

#1, Ability... how does one become more able?
#2, bullet construction. Do we need a TSX if the MV is under 2700fps?(maybe more aptly it's about bullet choices?)

All the debates of cartridge vs cartridge, are great reading when you begin your hunting ventures. It helps sell magazines too.

After you've seen 50, 100, 250 or more game animals harvested, you'll see that there's a lot more than this vs. that at play.

I'm admitadly not the worlds greatest advocate of the .243 as a big game cartridge, call it blind predjucice or what ever.

I am however a true believer in the .25-06, and 100grain Partitions and TSX's, wrap your noggin around that disjunctional revelation would ya.....

This I know, is that the larger and more powerful the chambering, that a inversely proportional relationship exists with everyone's ability to shoot precisely.

This whole game about what's best for this critter or that critter, is about going big enough without sacrificing too much the other way. It's called balance, plain and simple.

If you think a .270 Win loaded with a 140gr Accubond, Partition, or Barnes leaving the muzzle at 2900 fps isn't enough to put an elk down efficiently and humanly at this side of 450 yards, there needs to be an intervention of sorts, because somehow, some way, or what ever there's something amiss.

Now if your just trying to wrap yourself in some sort of justification to sooth that yearning in your heart to purchase another rifle.... there's no need, just go buy it and try it, there's pages of for sale ads on this site and others dedicated to the obsession of trying just because, then realizing the other one over there looks kinda neat too. It's called suffers from G.A.S! It's normal around these parts, so don't worry.

There are no absolutes