View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 01:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Don't have a dog in this race, probably never will. Just find it very interesting. But I am still continually struck by the very first post in this thread. I know it has been brought up earlier but I am still confused that someone would lead with:

"The Alberta Trappers Association and AEP have come to an agreement whereby the responsibility for the administration, licensing, and some regulatory functions will be transitioned to the ATA over the next year."

Then go on and say "This process will be transparent and open" The deal is signed!?

This thread appears to be the first mention that I can find about this deal, and it came out after it was already done. Now, I am not a member of the ATA so it may have been mentioned at an earlier meeting but the request for "input" makes that unlikely. How can the process be open and transparent if the deal is signed before the membership at large even knows it is on the table?

As I have said, no dog in this fight, but I am a member of various other organizations and if any of them came to me and said "I want your input on this agreement that will have a huge affect on all of its members, oh and by the way, it's already signed" there would be hell to pay.

I sincerely hope that this thread is not an honest representation of where trapping is headed in Alberta; but judging by the name calling and dismissive attitudes towards apparently legitimate, though perhaps uncomfortable, questions I am starting to believe it is. That a shame.
I also no longer have a dog in this race so take my input for what it is, just another cranky old trapper who is out of touch.

I was an ATA member for many years. I quit paying for membership when after over twenty years as a member of having my concerns ignored and not once was I informed about pending decisions.
Often I wasn't even informed after the fact. I got my updates from other trappers and the local paper. Not from ATA.

I don't know what they are like now so I won' comment on that, but I don't think it unreasonable to suspect that little has changed.

I see no reason to doubt what Dave is saying. To me he seems like a stand up guy.

George Bernard Shaw