View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Correct....^
Sticklebacks are just another food source for predatory fish. When you find a high concentration of sticklebacks in a lake, it is an indicator that the lake recently winterkilled or has a lack of predatory fish for some reason. They don't "take over". When the predatory fish die from winter kill, the sticklebacks thrive because they require very little oxygen. The reason you will never see bigger lakes like cold and slave lake over run with sticklebacks. Where as smaller slough like lakes susceptible to winter kill.
Call it what you want, but the trout are dead and the Sticklebacks are thick. I call that taking over. The cranes and pelicans are happy though. You'll never eliminate them completly, but a good cleansing might give the pond lots of years before they are this bad again.
I will be doing some more digging as to why exactly they don't want to stock Hermitage. It must have something to do with the NSR being so close. Maybe they are worried about spreading Whirling Disease downstream to Sask. I doubt it, but someone must know.