View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yes, I think that most people know about the weeds cosumption of oxygen when they decompose. It's a good pointh and is the main reason a pond or small lake will winterkill over a winter. There are also summer kills that can happen because of Algae blooms. I never once said Sticklebacks are the main or only reason a lake will winter kill, but they can become a huge problem when they are overpopulated. They also compete with trout for food. At least that is what a fish biologist that works for the AB govt. told me.
Perch can also be a big problem. Cormorants, cranes, pelicans,etc. can also be a problem for perch. Lots of other factors and conditions can also effect the health/ survival rate of Trout.

My main point for bringing up Sticklebacks is that since the pond has no trout anyways, this would be a good time to clean it up properly and then restock it with fresh healthy trout.
Heck that would be a perfect small pond to aerate, but I doubt the City would allow that.
For stocked trout stickleback are a food source not a competitor for resources. They can survive lower O2 levels in water. They also are great for eating mosquitoes in ditches.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin