View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Next they'll want to ban falconry as well "because few use them"
I really think tyey overstepped their bounds here, about the same as that idjit from B&C wanting to ban long range kills for the book - only thing is, just what us long range?
the spear is not a bow, that's a given, I see no reason not to use it in a regular season however - or a bayonet or sword for that matter!
Cat

But if it saves just one anti-hunter from complaining....

--------

FYI, Hunting with spears/atlatls are currently legal ONLY in general weapon (rifle) seasons. A person cannot use a spear/atlatl in the Archery only season.

As mentioned, the ABA membership did not vote on this resolution, it belongs to the President. To my knowledge the ABA membership has never been consulted on the matter. This resolution appears to be the agenda of a single person with the ability to get it to the AGMG table without having it voted on by the membership of the representative organization.

So why is the ABA trying to have them banned?

I had a long conversation with Brent Watson (ABA Pres.) in order to understand his position behind the resolution. Brent has posted on AO before and I am sure that he will be aware of this thread. I hope that Brent will reply here to correct any misunderstandings on my part.

Paraphrasing Brent's (ABA's) position;

- there have been no reported incidents/complaints of Licenced hunters using spears/atlatls resulting in the wounding and loss of big game .

- in his experience spears/atlatls are not easy enough to learn to use effectively and thus are not effective weapons.

- because spears/atlatls are not an effective weapon (in the ABA's opinion), they are thus indefensible in the event of complaints from the public.

- as spears/atlatls are indefensible as an effective weapon, the ABA cannot defend their use if asked to comment on any future issue/complaint involving these weapons.

- in order to eliminate any possibility that the public may complain about the use of spears/atlatls, and to eliminate the need for the ABA to respond to any requests for comments regarding the use of these weapons, the ABA has decided to request that the Alberta government Ban their use for big game.

To sum it up with my own words,

" if it saves just one anti-hunter from complaining...."

Last edited by walking buffalo; 01-03-2014 at 12:13 AM.