View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I haven't had any issues.

I was in South Africa a few years ago and on the return when I hit the security,

I realized I had a pocket knife that a good friend had given to me. Hmmm I really didn't want to lose the knife, I had simply forgot to put it in my checked bags.

I slipped it into my carry on and went through the scanner. Not a hitch. When i got to my bags in Atlanta I put it in my checked luggage.

I go to the U.S. every winter to hunt coyotes. I don't take a rifle because of the hassle with permits. I just borrow one down there.

I have a nylon bag that I keep binos , camera rangefinder etc in. When I'm hunting here i also have my knives and ammo etc. in it.
I asked my son to take everything out of the bag except my optics as i was going to carry it on the plane. I had him double check for stray ammo. I checked the bag and put my stuff in it.
When I went through the screener, they took me to the side and had my stuff there. Two women security were interviewing me at the same time. I thought it was clever. One asked a question then the other. I thought it was to catch me off guard. They asked where I was going and why when there were coyotes in Alberta that needed killing.
One of the women talked about her moose hunts with her family every year and blah blah blah. They were both very friendly. BUT they asked me repeatedly about guns and ammo. I told him I had none and was gonna borrow same. After about 15 long minutes of socializing the 'moose hunter' dropped an empty 223 brass out of my bag.

There was a looooong silence. She kept looking at me and finally said you didn't know this was there did you. I told her I had checked the bag. The shell casing was under the the plastic tray in the bottom of the bag. It showed on the xray, but took some digging to come up with it.

She said have a good trip and I was on my way.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand