View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey guys~while I haven't decided (fully) whether or not I will be hand loading something so small...I would love to hear from people who DO hand load for it and even better, what loads shoot best from their guns. If you own a CZ 527 Varmint~I'm ESPECIALLY keen on hearing from you...but all are welcome.

I've hand loaded for my .223, .204R, and .243 Win and in all cases...my approach was more or less the same. CCI BR4 or BR2 (.243) primers, a little Google work to confirm best powder choices for a given caliber, visit the Hodgedon Reloading data site, etc. I could get .223 and .243 shooting GREAT with Varget, .204R took a little more work. Anyhow, I've heard/read about that "lil gun" powder for Hornets and the use of Remington Primers (why?)...and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on their successes loading 17 Hornet. Any tips, pet loads, target photos, favorite dies (and why) it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post myself once I've gotten into it, and had some time to get to a range. The process has been slow, but I have the rifle, 1 spare mag, scope, 2 boxes of factory ammo (15gr and 20 gr.)

"en route"~more 20gr. V-Max factory ammo, 25gr HP factory ammo,Warne scope rings, and a nice little heap of once-fired Hornady brass. (saw an opportunity)

Undecided/not purchased~dies, bullets, shell holders for RCBS press and RCBS priming tool.

Powder on hand~Varget, Reloader 10X (Alliant), H4198, H322, H4350...but a willingness to buy/try others

Look forward to hearing from the 17 Hornet fans!
Look at H322 and H4198. I use a case full of WC735 under all bullets I bought to try. Works well with a rem 7.5 primer. WC735 is similar in speed to H322 and H4198. (Check the speed of reloader 10, as it may be close and work as well)

In my mind, Lil'gun might be too reactive of a powder to use in that small of a cartridge. I have a bottle of it, but haven't used it.

The Hornady seating die is quite nice. The seater drops out of the die to allow you to get the bullet into it without pinching your fingers.

I haven't used a bushing die on that case, but I was looking for a lee collet die for that cartridge a few years ago.

I'm still shooting out factory ammo that I bought for the cases, as the factory ammo was cheaper to buy than new brass at the time.

I haven't had problems with the primer pockets of the older brass with gold primers.