View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Wow - thanks for all the feedback!

Well I have to say that I am very impressed with the amount of input on this topic! Thank you everyone!

I made the post and then got crazy busy with work so I haven't had a chance to pop back in here and comment.

This was a very educational thread for me, and definitely made me realize that I had never really carefully looked at the anatomy from a head on position. Such great points about the head being down while walking a lot of the time, and that definitely doesn't leave much of a target from a head on position.

In both of the situations that we have had this happen, my buddy was down on his chest the first time (with the bear walking towards him) and the recent time he was crouched down ready for a shot (expecting a broadside or quartering shot) but when the bear was finally visible he was totally head on and coming steady (although not in a charge or anything at that point).

So from a slightly lower position I suppose that would alter the angles a little bit, but I think after reading these posts and looking at the images, there's a good chance the bullet went lower than it should have - potentially in both situations. (My buddy was the trigger man on both shots, so I can't say 100% where the crosshairs were aiming).

This was very helpful though, so thank you to everyone for your contribution on this.

Having watched several Mark Sullivan videos of charging hippos and buffalo, I completely understand the thoughts that a head shot definitely has its place in dangerous situations! (Although Mark Sullivan is of course an extreme example!) The story on here of the Grizz getting shot and then still hammering across the river really sums up some of the risk of chasing anything in bear country though too!

Thanks again. I definitely feel a bit more educated after this.