View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Pack the sawdust down (fairly tight) in a 5 gal steel bucket ( 1/3 full of sawdust and 2/3 air above it) and seal the lid tight (not quite airtight actually but we snapped the lid on tight). There was a small "slot" cut into the bottom of the bucket maybe an inch up and we placed a plug in element in there to get the saw dust going (like a hot cherry on a cigar) then pulled the element out.

The smoke would smolder out the cracks around the lid and draw in what little air it could get from where the element went in.

I think it just couldn't get enough air to ignite I'm thinking.

You would get hours of smoke from this.

I don't ever recall it going up in flames.

Keep in mind our set up was a 4x7 cinder block room. If your structure or smoker was smaller, maybe a paint tin is big enough.
Thanks a bunch EZM!

My grandmother, God keep her in peace, was the one looking after the smoke house when growing up. We had, just like the other household, a outhouse size smoke house in which the miracles took place. Many other people used the attics for curing and smoking the meats, by opening a flue in the chimney. Wood heated homes, mind you.

I built a couple of years ago a 4x4x 5 tall cedar smoke house, and for the life of me I couldn’t keep the sawdust or chips from catching on fire. Never set the lid on the container though!! I was running the smoke in the smokehouse from the fire pit, about 8 feet away, through a 4” tin pipe. Then I switched to using the
A-maze-N smoke products tube, which gives me 8 hours of smoke, but I have to use wood pellets. Working, in my job, with all kinds of kiln dried species of wood, I would really like to use what I already have though.

Can’t wait to try your suggestions. Thanks again!