View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 AM

I worked in extended care homes for 16 years doing regular maintenance and repairs as their plumbing service contractor, to the point where I was given my own set of keys to one of them. What I would observe in there showed me that I will never want to be in one myself. People ringing their buzzers all the time, taking forever to get assistance. Granted some residents just sit there buzzing their button all of the time anyways. Then there are the aggressive residents, the residents with a bit of Tourette’s, the residents who are openly racist to their caregivers, etc. There were times that the residents with dementia would be too close to the door and their bracelet would engage a proximity-triggered magnetic lock on the door, I would initially wait for a staffer to move them so that I could exit; after a spell I became comfortable in gently leading them away myself, but it’s such an uncomfortable feeling to physically move someone, even if you’re being very gentle. And that home was probably a good one compared to many.