View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Well tbosch, I too live in Dead Deer. I have not posted here before but I visit often.

I have owned a 100 or more rifles over the 35 years I have been shooting and hunting. Have owned lots of Rems, a few Winnies, Weatherby's, one Browning and a couple of Sakos. IMO, if you want the nicest rifle out there and can spare lots of coin, Sako is tough to beat. The Browning are generally expensive but that deal for $530 at Crappy Tire is a good price. I am not a fan of the WSM's in any flavor...been there done that. Went back to the tried and true. But $530 is cheap these days.

IMO, for the best bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Remington. Regardless of what many will post, they are nice rifles and none have ever failed me for any reason. One has to remember that most custom rifles out there are built on Rem actions or copies thereof. That says a lot. The new Pro-X triggers break like glass with no creap or overtravel that I have ever detected. In standard non-WSM calibres, they feed properly. I never had one that would not shoot 3 rounds into an inch off the bench with reloads. Most have done .5 MOA (or less) with some load development. Remember, I am talking about hunting rifles, not target rigs.

As for models, if I was buying a Remington today that I wanted to last forever, I'd buy a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06, mount a Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VX3 scope in 3-9x40 and go hunting.

Good luck with whatever one you choose and enjoy.