View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Currently working on my PPL. For the rental plane (Cessna 172), ground school, instructor and test the cost is going to be around 12K - they say it varies between 10 and 20. It is very dependant on each individual and how quickly you learn. Good luck, for me it is one of the best experiences I have ever had. Have fun with Spins and Spirals!
The time to test likely also depends on your instructors need for hours and income.
My advice to all students is
(after lots of fully logged 'intro flights' with different schools, aircraft types, and 231hr new CFI, certified flying instructors),
spend the extra $10-20/hr to hire a class 1 CFI (probably the schools chief flying instructor), who already has all the hours they need, and experience and knowledge to teach to individual learning styles and ability.

I tried very hard flying several different C172 aircraft, and using full pro-spin inputs, but they all spiraled out in 1 3/4 turns or less. A C152 will spin much nicer, but for the real spin experience you need a Citabria, Cub or similar. These aircraft will spin forever, recovery is very predictable, and are fun to learn to recover on a designated heading.
Give yourself a real treat and learning experience, and find a Citabria (airbatic spelled backwards) and a good acro instructor, to teach you low G/load acro and 'unusual attitude recovery' maneuvers like rolls, loops, !/2 Cubans and the 'Beggs/Mueller technique' for spin recovery.
The most disorienting experience I have ever had was a demonstration of an inverted flat spin performed in an Extra 300 under full power.

IMHO, the best training aircraft is a Citabria 7ECA, it needs to be flown right to tie-down, and WILL force you to learn to use your feet, and WILL make you a better flyer.
IMHO, the Cub is a GREAT aircraft (and very safe, it can just barely kill you),
but it gets off the ground too easily/quickly to properly learn the inputs required for smooth ground run and transition to flight.

IMHE, flight training is a great experience, and will make you better at everything else you do.

'A PPL is just a license to learn, in an aircraft you are always a student.'

'If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us more money.'

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 08-11-2017 at 04:12 PM.