View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM

My conclusions on this topic:

100% of fish that are whacked and stacked die.

A fish that is caught and released will quite often have a higher mortality rate than one that is not caught.

The study that Don showed appears to be valid in showing that a fish that is taken out of water has a mortality rate that is directly proportional to time out of water. This makes physiologic sense...it would be like putting a plastic bag over your head after going for a hard run. There is a point where the fish will suffer and it will eventually affect mortality. I don't think the specific mortality numbers matter all that much in proving this point.

What would I consider a catch and release technique to minimize mortality?...

Unbaited, unbarbed single hook, a fish that is played only enough to get it in, fish kept in water at all times with ability to use gills, don't touch the gills, try to flip fish off by only grabbing fly/lure with pliers, attempt to not handle fish with hands or net. If fish is overly tired and not able to keep its balance in water, gently support it with head facing upstream and don't swish it to and fro...wait for it to leave on it's own power when ready.