View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Why do you want to go at that time, I would think they have an easier pattern in the early season, they may travel down to the river more often also for water then? I have seen bucks bed right on the lower banks in the heat also. Later they may be up in the crop land more often taking advantage of second cut alfalfa and second growth coming in on the stubble fields. Early season the bucks are fat and lazy also. The rut is not on in late oct really but there is some interest and checking going on. If you go earlier you will have no worries of ice, maybe just the odd jet boat. Just some thoughts. Sounds like a fun time either way.
Being that close to Peace River, which has to be close to the Jet boat capital of Alberta, I want to stay far away from the elk and moose rut. I feel that having some snow on the ground will give me a better edge than anything else, plus I just really like looking at tracks. Call the late date an experiment, if it works out good I might try even later next year. Done lots of elk and moose trips earlier in the season and I often find myself wishing I had snow. Hopefully I don't spend this trip wishing I didn't have snow LOL.