Thread: Hand augers
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 PM

I prefer an ice chisel over a hand auger. A good chisel will always work. With the chisel I had I could go through a foot of ice in a minute or so. If the ice was 3 feet thick it would take a few minutes. Make a hole any shape or size, even make wide angle holes for a better view. I would sharpen it once in a season. The chisel weighed enough that just the weight cut the ice, not much effort. I sold the chisel I had to another AO member but am going to have another one made from a planer blade.

Stay away from the store bought jiffy chisels. not heavy enough. Also.. if anyone tries a chisel wear a wrist strap attached to the chisel. The first nice ice chisel I had is stabbed in the bottom of Heart Lake to this day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chizel 2.jpg (54.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ice chisel 2.jpg (7.1 KB, 28 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets