Thread: Huskemaw Optics
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
My criteria for determining long range shooting/hunting ability is how far away how can you hit an 8" gong five times in a row from actual hunting conditions. I'd say most average shooters can do that at 500 yards when a little technology is placed in their hands....

My idea of a long range marksman would be a shooter that can take his rifle, and consistently hit a small target,at long range, with the first bullet out of the gun, regardless of the wind, and then place follow up shots into that target if required. He would have no yardage markers , or wind flags to go by, and obviously no sighter shots.

I have to wonder how many average shooters, using their hunting rifles, could consistently hit that same 8" target at 500 yards from a field position, with their very first shot, in a crosswind of more than 10mph, with no sighter shots, no wind flags, and no walking to the target with a wind meter. If I had to bet for them,or against them, I would bet against them. But that is just me after watching many people with high dollar precision rifles and BDC scopes shooting at 500 meter targets at the local range. Once they find the proper windage, most do pretty well, but very few are hitting smaller targets at 500 meters with the first shot.

Actually thinking about what I just typed, there is a huge problem with the above situation. If a person is an average shooter, he obviously wouldn't be considered a long range marksman, unless of course you consider all average shooters long range marksmen. I certainly don't.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.