View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
100 years ago rifles had steel buttplates and shot 3006. According to this thread, and many others on this website, only a fool would use 3006 now that these smaller more civilized cartridges are around. Its interesting watching how people articulate or even encourage the softening of each generation. Pick whatever cartridge you enjoy shooting, be it 243win or 500NE. Each cartridge has its strong points. Some of these super high bc low energy skinny cartridges are best suited for long range paper. Some of the fat rainbow trajectory are better for up close big game. Let the shooter decide what's appropriate. Planning ahead and making the right choice for your situation is the manly thing to do. Pulling stunts with incorrect choices so you can brag online is purely egotistical, not so manly.

Where has that been said. Do you have a link or at least a thread title?

As for what folks used 100 years ago, I think you'll find that the .303 far outnumbered other cartridges back then.

More recently, in the 1960s and 1970s I remember there being a lot of .308s and 30-30s in use. Other favorite cartridges of the day were 25-35 and even 25-20.

I remember folks back then, A; thought the 30-06 kicked too hard and did too much damage. A function I suspect of the bullets available then.
B; money was hard to come by and there were more important uses for what money one had.

I totally agree that each person needs to choose what is right for him or even just what he likes.

Where I have an issue is when the magnum crowd insists on advising beginners to choose a magnum as their first rifle.

I also have an issue with people using demeaning or inflammatory comments in making a point. Such as "the softening of" which to me implies that those who shoot calibers that kick less are somehow soft.

Yeah I know I'm guilty of that too. I'm working on that.
In my defense, it's hard to not respond in kind around here.

I should add, I agree that there has been a softening of recent generations. For the most part I don't see that as a negative thing though.

For example, most of us would not want to live without running water. I think that's good. Folks smell a lot better these days because of it, I'm sure.

I think that a hundred years ago people endured a lot more, not by choice but because they had no alternative. Which was the case with the steel butt plates I am sure. People got rid of them as soon as there was an alternative. That started with those nasty slip on recoil reducers.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-02-2018 at 12:11 AM.