Thread: Need a new knot
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I tested the double Palomar vs the standard Palomar on our tensile testing machine in the lab at work. I tested it with a few weights of braid and using fluorocarbon (2 heavier weights of fluorocarbon leader) and there was no difference in strength or knot failure through slipping OR breaking - as a matter of fact, the double had was slightly "less" resistant to breaking (although it would/could be statistically insignificant) based on the fact we did maybe a dozen pulls until I ran out of line to fill the fixture.

The improved clinch was better on fluoro by a fair margin, but the Palomar was the ticket for the braid although only slightly better.

In many cases the break was at the base of the knot but not always - there seemed to be no pattern.

And ....... interestingly ALL samples broke ABOVE the line rating in every case. So 14lb broke close to 20lbs in some cases.

I would have done more testing, but the guys had stuff they needed to do and didn't want them to have to explain what the heck they were doing on work time testing fishing line for me instead of doing their tests on materials they were supposed to be testing.... lol

You would probably need to do a little more of a population to have "sound" results and we should have used the optical comparator to make sure the thicknesses were uniformed throughout the samples and inspected them with a microscope and stuff - but I just peeled off 10-12 feet of line of whatever spools I had and brought them in to play with.

The other thing that was cool to see, braided line stretches, but hardly compared to fluoro - the fluoro had elongation prior to failure versus the braid just exploded upon failure which was loud and fun to watch - the 40lb braid was like a grenade going off - scared us every time .... lol
Very cool.