View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 10:25 PM

Not to take away from this thread, but the next harvest season is just around the corner, so why not another option of crown lands vers private lands.

I guess it depends on where a person lives in our Province when looking for crown lands.

The southern part of the Province looks limited to crown lands,,, but there is some opertunities if a person gets at it.

The further North one goes the more access to crown lands, of course the old saying of bottle-necked is those that "Purhaps" don't get back there. Then again, I don't know what people do to work around this. Guess I got lucky over the years of going to places that people don't go to.
Another post popped up on this thread that mentioned that there is less productive quality critters on the crown lands,,, I suppose this might be true. Don't know since we did ok with this year's harvest but nothing out of the ordinary with a few tags that got used up.

Hunting the big one comes mind, some are after that, others just harvest.
Once in a Blue Moon the big one shows up, sometimes it dosen't. Oh well.

One thing is lost into today's world, heading into the thick of the thickest, dam rights it's tuff going, walking around in the forest looking for "well used" current game trails.

Some crown lands offer trails, some don't. Some look easier to see and move around, other spots are challenging the whole way.

I'm going to throw a rock at my self at this point.
If anyone in Alberta is the laziest person, your hearing from him right now.
Middle age worn out body,,, afternoon naps,,, a fellow who stumbles around the forests like a lost foul
LOL,,, Yuppers,,, that's me.

What dose this post I'm sharing have to do with this thread some might ask. This post is "Options."

My options are access private lands or crown lands. I have access to private lands across Western and Eastern Canada,,, but it ain't going to happen.

I started Harvesting on Crown lands back in 2005, and I'm not going to change.
I don't need farm, pasture, private lands to harvest,,, I just don't.

Lazy azz hat me needs to keep up the pace because of the rewards of bitter sweet.
Bitter in hard ships, sweet in rewards "if" it pans out.
There are no phone calls, people to meet and ask for permission to hunt. To many roads, to many people, to much of everything,,, but not in the thick of things there isn't.

My long time hunting partner is in the same boat,,, we harvest game on crown lands only,,, we could care less what others are doing "if" we run across them,,, we are out there doing what we do.

The bitter sweet,,, its a struggle alright,,, we hear the traffic up the valley and gun shoots day in and day out as we push more game to the road and easy access folks then we realize,,, fustration to the max my friends.
I dam near / we dam near threw in the towel a few times I'll tell yha.

We went off our game plan and drove 800 kms for 7 days,,, then we regain our train of thought and went back to square 1. The next morning we snagged 1 of the few bull Elk back there,,, we struggle with the limited chances of the other Bulls,,, dam what a nightmare that was. LOL.

Yes, a couple of little WT's and the season was over.
Seeing some nice Bull Moose, a few cows, lynx and surround by Wolves,,, all part of the sweet.

I (We) know one thing, crown lands till the day we are gone, or the day they are closed. Neither one of us will ever harvest on owner ship lands even though we have some.

I share this as an option,,, bitter sweet of this, or bitter sweet of that.
The funny thing is, we are not the only people out there on the crown lands.
I only hope I force my self out there next summer for archery then rifle.

Crown lands offer freedom and so much more, get off the roads, find those game trails, stick with it, yes,,, it sucks goats milk at times,,, but that's the way it is.
Of course this is for those that chose.

We all have options, what's in your plans for 2018 that just around the corner, are you and your Harvesting pal ready to take on the challange,,, the Pros & Cons.

Sorry for the long post, but why not allow for a back up plan in the mix.

Don