View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Gone Hunting

So you got worms eh?

Just when I think I've seen it all, I visit AO and learn something new.

I've always tried to find ways to encourage worms to inhabit my yard. I have used them for fish bait all my life and had a "worm box" as a kid, in southern Ontario. I would go out in the evening after a rainstorm or heavy lawn watering and pick them using a flashlight with wax paper on the lens. It was the first night hunting I did. The worms would then go into a wooden box with a screen on it into the cellar where it was cool and damp. The box had leaves and shredded newspaper and a band of sand throught the centre, The worms would be deposited into one end of the box and taken from the other after they had crawled through the sand band. It would supposedly toughen the hide and hold to the hook better. That was a tip in Outdoor Life magazine. I also had a crayfishbox and a frog box.

As a young teen. I picked commercially on golf courses. $4 per thousand. On a good night I could make 15-20 dollars. that was a lot of money then for a 13 year old. Times change. Today a 13 year old likel;y wouldn't take the job and if they would as parents we wouldn't allow them out all night.

I love to garden, low impact natural as much as possible gardening, so I'm glad to provide a place for worms. It indicates a balanced garden and they work 24/7 in that garden.

Here's a couple quotes from this site.

http://www.naturenorth.com/fall/ncrawler/ncrawler2.html

"In a less direct sense worms earn a lot of other people a lot of money, too. Everyone who earns money from the fertility of the soil owes a little to worms of one sort or another. So what exactly do worms do that is so great for the soil? Well, their burrowing helps to churn the soil making it more porous and improving air and water infiltration. They eat, and help to break down organic matter of all sorts; they compost it! Worms produce copious amounts of urine containing urea, which is rapidly broken down into available nitrogen for plants. Their castings (poop) help to neutralize soil pH, make more basic minerals and nutrients available to plants and stimulate microbial populations in the soil. Worm castings can amount to as much as 30 tonnes per hectare per year! That's a lot of poop, and a lot of soil enrichment! Worms enhance this vital resource, all at no charge to the farmers and gardeners who grow our food.
There are even people out there spending money researching ways to reduce worm castings on "amenity" grasslands. Can you imagine! Trying to reduce the presence of worms in fancy-dancy lawns so "one doesn't have to see or tread on worm poop". What's the world coming to?"

Sorry I don't have any way for you get rid of them except to catch them and send them to me.

I know guys that used electricity to gather them, but I never tried it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand