View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 PM

A further plunder of OUR resources. I find it hard to believe that there is no commercial market for burbot, I think it is greed and laziness by the commercial fisherman. Likely, not worth the time to find a market and lower prices than whitefish or walleye. Go to your local supermarket and have a look at what they are selling for fish these days, frozen, rough fish from ocean trawlers that cannot find traditional species due to over harvest. I think a market could be found or established for burbot if there was an effort made. I know I would rather purchase locally caught Alberta burbot instead of some unheard of species from south african waters.

Regardless of the waste from Alberta commercial fishing, please remember who is netting our waters. It's our rural neighbours, typically farmers that have the off time in winter and suplement (barely) their income that is already suplemented through tax paying dollars. Do they really need this income to survive? I think not. They are profiting off of our resource, when we are barely allowed to bring home a meal. Could you only imagine the outcry if these same farmers were allowed to harvest bighorn sheep, deer, moose etc in quantity when other taxpayers could not or only on draw and god forbid waste any of it?