Thread: Snaring seminar
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
There Davey-boy, you hit the nail on the head. Therein lies the problem, and the ATA came up with a solution.

Don't forget, the consequences of the problem could very easily impact trapping and snaring in all of Alberta. The trappers association was tasked with finding a solution to the problem, and they've come up with educating the trappers.

Either the trappers find solutions or the govt will bring about heavy handed "solutions" which could end our enterprises.

One simple solution is to educate the trappers to be using humane equipment.

Another solution would is allow the govt to bring about heavy handed laws to make themselves look good to the animal rights people.

Back to your statement, how do we know who does and who doesn't? Well a blanket policy for all trappers, then we know everybody is up to speed/educated.

So after last years AGM, Godberson, Jaburek and myself put in a day and took the snare seminar, both to support the ATA in their continual work to ensure our trapping industry continues, and to have our certificates, in the event that this seminar becomes mandatory. I strongly suggest we all come on board.

As we enter the age of fur certification/traceability/accountability, the act of being snare certified will have value to you as a trapper when Billy comes knocking on your door. Perhaps much more value down the road than now but whatever.
I agree it is better to be proactive. I hope we are going that route and I think we are. But we have to do it the right way!
If these courses are 80$ then I can live with that. If they are a lot more then I think we are going the wrong direction and it's not about learning and getting on the same page anymore