Thread: Snaring seminar
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Some of the arguments that I read here are the same ones that were heard in the 70's with body grip trap certification. We now would not think of using foot hold trap to trap marten like they do on some of the reality TV shows but 50 years ago it was the thing to do. Look at the cost of replacing those traps at that time and the push back about they being doing it their way for the last 100 years, with no need to change their ways. This to me is the same thing.

They are teaching best practices and snare making methods, that we currently know work humanely and as safely as possible to non target species.
This is an on going evolution and with testing things will probably change as time goes on similar to the body grip trap design.

If you want to take valuable arrow out of the trappers quiver fight the snaring changes, I remember when resident trappers could not snare coyotes. Do we want that back? Instead of fighting this, work with the ATA and other trappers to make it better!

Will it be a straight line or will there be bumps in the road you bet but if you can't see that by the media reports that we are at a cross roads over this then you have your head in the sand.

Also there was a mention about a supplier that does not support the ATA, They are currently selling some body grip traps that do not meet AIHTS.
I personal have gotten cheap cable and springs from a USA supplier, that was exactly what the stuff was cheap.
I will agree with you on the cheap part ..i used all my snare parts from a U.S. supplier and tho they cost half what the Camadian equivalents did (yes I included exchange) they were inferior quality ..Since then I have gone all Canadian with parts from Marty and look forward to increased success this year . If and when this course becomes mandatory we should all be lined up to take it , lets hope we dont get gouged doing it ....just too bad those that dont even have trapping licences now dont get caught and dinged

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk