View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 AM

Default X-bolt

I just picked up a X-bolt in 25-06. I have shot it abit and am very happy with it. I have always enjoyed this calibre because it is fairly flat shooting and a good deer gun. The 30-06 is also a good choice as ammo is pretty much everywhere you go and has been around for along time. The range of bullet weights is also good for various hunts one can get into. But it still comes down to shot placement.

As for a scope I have always been fond of Leupold and if something goes wrong send it in as the repair is located in Okotoks, and the turn around time is fairly fast. However it is one's personal choice. Bushnell puts a good line, however I had a couple of issues with them but then again not alot. Another descent scope is Vortex and should be looked at as they offer a very good warranty and price as well.

As for price, well you have to shop around and if you find someone that has it well there you go. Buy it and enjoy. I had looked around at a few stores WSS $819.00, ( I had ordered it this past March and still haven't heard from them, Also about 2 months ago while in WSS, I had staff member check for me and located a 25-06 in Saskatoon, well they were having it shipped to Edmonton and yup I still haven't heard from them ), Bass Pro can not remember how much there but had a 30-06 in stock. I ended up buying from a small dealer as he had it in stock and the price was only a few dollars more like 10-20 bucks than WSS, but like with anything the service is what means alot.

Also a nice feature on this rifle as you stated your son is going on his first deer hunt, is the fact that while the bolt is closed and the safety on, it can be unloaded by pushing the button on top of the bolt. This is a good safety feature no matter how much experience one has with firearms.

Good Luck and Enjoy