View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Thanks guys. Good info. I do understand a 10wt. might be better for Mexico, etc., but seems like it's probably overkill for the Bow and lakes here, which I will fish more than Mexico. I'll go with the 8wt and if it gets snapped on the flats then I'll see how good this TFO warranty is. LOL
I have used an 8 wt for several trips down south. Mexico, Grand Cayman, Cuba and others. It is a great wt to fish for bones. If you catch something larger you'll have a battle. But hey that's what it's all about. I did manage to get a baracuda with mine while down in Cozumel. That was a blast to catch on the fly.

So your 8 wt will do fine. For a line you can just use a standard floating line. As I said I have fished several times down south with just a "normal" Rio floating line. No "special" bone fishing tropical line. I have done quite well and the line is still in use today after about 6 years of use. So it will be just fine in the heat.

The 8 wt will do fine also on the Bow if you decide to go crazy and fish some chuck and duck double clouser set ups. It will also be great for some pike on the fly. Give me a shout in the spring when we can get a boat in the water and we can take my boat out for some spring pike on the fly.

Rob