View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Getting back into fly fishing after a long hiatus

Found a good deal on a Sage One, however it is only offered in 4 weight on sale.

Soliciting opinions on the ideal weight for southern Alberta - would mainly be fishing within K Country, Mountain Parks and on the Bow.

Guess I am looking for a good "all around" weight.

Realistically I don't see a lot of BC fishing in my future but would be nice to have a rod which kept my options open.
After a long time away the One is like a completely different sport than you remember. Most of us progressed to these fast technical rods but if you had given me One 15 or 20 years ago I probably would have just given it back.

I am a big Sage fan and in fact would grab a Sage One in 3 or 4 weight if the right deal came along, however I never did think it the latest and greatest. It will produce some incredible performance casts but for me it took too much concentration for an every day rod. It is a precision rod for technical dry fly fishing IMO where a person may only take a few casts an evening to very spooky fish. I have heard the 4 is one of the best in the One series but only handled it, never fished it. I spent a few hours on the river with a 5 wt. but liked my Z-Axis much more.

Be sure to check around as there are some good deals on One. I have noticed some awesome deals State side but the dollar may negate any savings.

And, if you have been away for a long while, be sure to handle some $100 -$500 rods as these modern versions will blow away most any rod on the market 20 years ago. Sage, Winston, Orvis, G Loomis and Hardy all have mid tier rods that employ technology that was top of the game just 5 or 10 years ago. They are often liked more than the flagship models. TFO, Echo, Fenwick, Redington and a few others have some rods that are inexpensive and only the top 20-30% of casters would notice much difference on the water and then only under demanding circumstances. Most all have a decent warranty as well.

As far as the Bow for weight goes, I would take a 6 if given the choice but a 5 would work especially if it had some back bone like Sage One. It would be a rare occasion that a 4 would be ideal. I watched a bunch of Bow River videos over the winter on the new smart TV and the "experts" are fishing streamers and dropper rigs 90% of the time. A good 4 would be perfect most everywhere else so I guess you have a decision to make.

If I had to buy One, I would probably get two.