View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Yeah you are 100% incorrect and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cant say a perch is prone to stunting genetically because it is stunded. Sure some may grow larger that others, but the main factor in stunting is overpopulation. Just ask Sundance Fisher when populations were low that lake grew true giant perch, I remember looking at pics green with envy. Same with Crimson lake. The fish only got small after the population expanded. The larger fish die off or are caught and you are left with a large reproducing population of stunted fish with the same genetics as the big fish that spawned them originally.

Cascade lake, arguably the best jumbo perch lake in North America right now had its perch population re established in 2004 to 2006 by stocking it with stunted perch from a lake in Oregon. Now perch are growing to 17inches and nearly three pounds.

Dont judge a perches genetic potential by its environmentally restrained size.

Then there is the whole factor of epigenetics, that's where it gets interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yes. Agreed. Genetics are limited in a bucket stocked lake. Therefore. I Wouldn’t suggest putting in a current perch lake. I would in a put and take fishery.

Stunting is purely a factor of food availability. Take stunted perch and give them food they start to grow again.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin