View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.
I think bucketting them into lakes that dont have a perch population that once did would be better than not stocking anything. I think we would be pleasantly surprised and I would be open to a trial test run to see what happens. If they dont grow theyll just get devoured by pike and walleye anyways.

So here is the way I look at it with what you said about releasing the big fish to maintain genetics. That 14 inch perch was once a 6 inch spawning female, 7 inch, 8 inch.... you get my point. Every generation along the way that it spawned would have the same genetics passed on as the fish does when it is 14 inch. Each year it has a bigger genetic influence because more progeny are made each year, but the genetic makeup does not change with the size of fish. So perch reach sexual maturity at 3 years of age. They have been reproducing for likely 7 to 8 generations already and are nearing the end of there lifespan.

The best arguement I've heard for releasing big fish is, " if you want to catch a 15 inch perch you have to release the 14s." Makes sense. But these are old fish and most are dieing of natural causes by the time they get that big.

Thank you for releasing big perch! It does help trophy potential of fisheries. Most people fry them though. Me included since the dawn of my time (genetic predisposition bonk for me, I'm in recovery), but I think I am being influenced to let the bigger ones go by many. So maybe we will let some big fish go this next week. Freezers full of salmon anyways.

Thanks for your thoughts I know we are all concerned and want to have great Alberta fisheries.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures