View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Switching topics

We have had brook trout and brown trout in the lake now for 2 years. This winter we saw a massive drop in catch rates and a distinct increase in average size. Where one once stopped catching anything over 6 inch now the average size is closer to 7 inch. Also seeing 8 inch perch more commonly with the occasional 9 inch and rare 10 inch.

Definitely seeing a shift in our perch population both in terms of numbers and size.

5 years ago when we put a camera down and spun it around you could count 200-1000 in some areas. Massive clouds of perch. Back then I could easily catch 300 perch in a day. Now when I saw a few camera shots and talked to those using camera they can see 10 and then 1-5 swimming by now and again.

Now I am not purported to have perch under control however I am hoping the brooks and browns are devestating the young of the year and with brooks and browns now to 15 inch...maybe they can eat perch as large as 3 inches.

Our browns appear to be growing long yet skinny. Putting any food towards length which hopefully means targeting longer prey.

We have also treated our lake with copper sulphate to treat for algae and maybe that has harmed the perch fry even in low concentration through direct impact or indirect through plankton (key food for young of the year perch).

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I really really want to stock tiger trout however the process is not quick to have them approved.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin