View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Not a terrible idea to go all tags, although I do hate having to lug around tags and remember to tag the fish. Big ticket if you forget. I'd like it if they made the acquisition of tags easier and also the process itself (tags should have needles, just spear it through the fish's tail or fin; much easier to deal with when the bite is hot or you're on a canoe/kayak).

Still. I'd be OK with that system.

Regarding stocked trout: not sure $1 a trout would really make sense in terms of the hassle (but it would definitely reduce fishing pressure because of it). Might as well just up license fees. I'd like to simply see take limits on trout decreased to 2 or 3. Nobody needs 5. And I feel like this just encourages people to take any fish they catch, not just the decent eating size trout.

At the end of the day I'd like to see more education given by the province on angling and I think a license should require taking a course. A course could outline best angling practices and considerations around size when taking fish for eating (i.e., leave the 30 lb laker; it won't taste good and is better suited to breeding; if you want a trophy, then take pictures and measurements and go to a taxidermist for a replica, but put the fish back).

I'm sure a good deal of the damage to our fisheries is caused by individual ignorance. There will always be damage due to disrespectful idiots, and this is why we have enforcement, but if the problem of ignorance can be partially solved with a few program and policy tweaks I don't see any reason not to do that.