View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I belive what ur seeing is the ice moveing under the weight 10"is iffy to drive on u never worry abt the thikness its the thin that gets u ice is not floating it is being held up by water that cannot be compressed drill enough holes the ice can sink in the lab not gona happen on a lake but a spring can make a air pocket or what we call a man hole in my experience in ice over 3' thick
You are correct in stating that water in a liquid form is incompressible.

However,Fish Gunner you couldn't be more incorrect in your description of why ice stays on top of the liquid water below it. Truth be told water has an odd property and that is it reaches its lowest density when it freezes (turns to a solid) and is actually more dense in its liquid state. This is because the molecules of water realign themselves so as to occupy the most volume as a solid.(This is why the volume of ice is greater then that of liquid water. Don't believe me put some water in a glass bottle and place it in the freezer. Result: the glass shatters.)

It is because of this difference in density that ice FLOATS on water.

If you still stand by your statement that this is not true in a laboratory setting then please post experiment. I am always willing to learn something new.

Last edited by ivegonefishing; 01-03-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling