View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM

I would recommend starting out with a 5 or 6 weight rod / line set up with floating line. It will get you started. I would also suggest selecting a reel that you can buy an extra spool for... depending on the waters you plan on fishing, a sinking, or possibly sinking tip line can be very useful. Do you plan on fishing rivers or lakes more often? In lakes I use my sinking line more often than floating line. In rivers / streams I use my floating line or sink tip line more often. My opinion is that moving water is more challenging to fish than still water is. To me the most sure-fire way for a newbie to catch a fish fly fishing is to troll a black woolly bugger behind your float tube or boat.

As for flies, the sky is the limit. I think a good start would be a selection of woolly buggers, gold ribbed hare's ear, and pheasant tail nymphs for sinking flies, and a selection of adam's, elk hair caddis, and stimulators for dries. There are quite a few other standard flies that everyone should have, but that should get you started. The list could be modified depending on if your fishing lakes or rivers / streams.

Ideally if you could hook up with an experienced fly fisher, or even a guide, it will reduce the learning curve greatly. Good luck getting started, once I started fly fishing I pretty much gave up on my spin rod. It's an addicting hobby!