Thread: pike haters!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
X2 - I Prefer the second method of deboning. I have been deboning Pike since we flew into Gypsy Lake back in the nineties. The camp cook would clean our catch before he prepared it and I would help him and observed his techniques and improved on a few. Now I always seem to be the one cleaning fish but do not mind. I like the feel of a sharp knife gliding through flesh and seeing how symmetrical and neat I can make the fillets. I call it the tenderloin but the two back pieces off the top are my choice cuts for frying. The only suggestion I would make to anyone trying this is after the guy in the video takes the skin off he tosses the fillet on the slime of the cutting board. I take the skin off and lift the fillet onto a clean piece of paper or into a bowl with ice cold water which protects your fillets from any fishy taste. I have had small audiences around the Filleting table and I am more than happy to show others how to do it. Pikestriker is a master at boneless pike but uses the first method. Do not be scared to try these methods the worst that can happen is some messed up fillets the first time but you will improve with time.
OK Dogfish - you are invited to fish with us anytime. I don't enjoy cleaning fish as much as I like to eat them.

At Winefred lake this young guy (this fall) cleaned up the two eater pike we brought in and did an amazing job. Although TrophyPikeHunter and I know how to clean fish well - this kid was amazing. It takes us 5-7 minutes per fish but this kid did it in 2 min a fish at the most and with zero waste and zero cuts into the boneless fillets.

He used the top loin off the back method and did it quickly, cleanly, and with little waste. His knife was razor sharp and his confidence with the knife was something cool to watch. The other thing that was amazing is there wasn't a drop of blood on the board and he skinned and moved the fillets to a clean area as you described.

It's a pleasure to watch someone with that much skill for sure.