View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Heat is transferable from all sources. So, as the ground heats up, it transfers at least a portion of it to the lake. The only perfect insulator is a vacuum.

It takes 1 calorie to heat 1g of water 1C. There are 4.2 joules/calorie. Conservation of energy works both ways, so cooling 1 mL of water from 10C (the average temperature of a spring shower) to 0C (the temperature of ice at phase change) will transfer 42 joules of heat energy.

We need to take into account that ice is less dense than water. So 1g of water is 1 cm^3 or 1 mL. 1cm^3 of ice is 0.9g

if you want to do all the ratios, it takes approximately 7mL of water at 10C to change 1mL of ice into water. since heat is being transferred from all directions. The ice itself is not an infinite heat sink. The water underneath the ice will be at 4C and the air temperature will be above zero, it thusly will take less than 7ml of 10C rainwater to change 1g of ice into pike fishing time!!
Wow ok well I'm impressed! I was terrible in science and math!
So long story short tho with temps above zero for the next 2 weeks WHEN is it going to be pike time