View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Mayuan: I have spent hundreds of hours on ghost as i once lived in NW calgary. You can expect to spend 10 to 15hrs per fish. Dont get me wrong there are fish but if you were to average skunk trips vs fish I am pretty sure this is not far off my average, most days it is one maybe two fish for two people.

Having said the above I have pictures (hard copy only) of a 25lb laker from early spring and a 15 plus thru the ice. ( will try to take pics of them and post) You can have 5/6 fish days but i have only done it 3 or 4 times in 12 years. Lures: Hard water,Flyer Jig head with full dew worm (let him eat it as you will get only one chance) and as mentioned above white or pink tubes Soft water: Bleeding Olive Rapalla orriginal floater with down rigger, or at least 10 feet line behind an ounce or more of lead.

IMO Rainbows and Browns are a more atainable goal. Focus on the north arm and regular structure(log piles, or where water flows in ,some on the southside of the main lake, and the obvious river entrance.The north arm comes with two problems,Water skiers in the summer and Ice bikes in the winter. Small spinners ie; Mepps Extra Deep brown trout pattern with half a worm for casting /trolling or Panther Martin In black or the gun metal blue

There is a magic week maybe a couple days more in the fall when the Rocky Mountain Whites school in the north arm before they head up the ghost river to spawn. This must be timed to perfection as it is a pretty short bite. Note the regs as to the rules about the entrance of the ghost river. Focus on where current is deflecting off the banks in the lake portion. Slipbobbers , egg hook and magots or classic nymph patters on the fly rod. Decent episode from the TV show Fishing Alberta Maybe if Alex K reads this he could help U out.

I have never seen a burb but also heard of them being caught.

I am sure this is going to be contavercial.... but there are also monster Lake Whites in there as well. Only done it twice but super late soft water(closer to slush) Trying to catch the laker spawn .

I would not fish with a leader, from shore and with out electronics. You will need every advantage possible. I would get the hydrographic chart made for the sailing club and fish only the very best structre and in a very mobile fashion

http://www.maptown.com/cgi-bin/mt/st...store_id=21241

Pm me if you want to go some time..............No promises........Just Sayin!!!

B.