View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
CSA has a library of 3000 standards and codes that address industry, consumers, regulators and the public at large. CSA also works with other countrys to comply with their safety code to protect their citizens in case that product happens to be used there.
To manufacture and sell to the public a product must meet CSA codes. I imagine sooner or later there could be injury lawsuits similar to manufacturers of vehicles, firearms or even hot coffee.
Without exception, these standards apply to manufactured products; be they hard goods, soft goods, or consumables.

Atlatls, spears, knives or clubs used for hunting are unlikely to be commercially manufactured. A flat bow, no matter whether someone makes it for themselves or for someone else will never fall under some government standard. Neither will spears or atlatls..... or the horrific "bag of rocks"; nor should they. These tools are very personal and user specific.

Are we going to regulate the type of material darts are made from? The type of wood? The type of material of a broad head? Must it be steel? Are knapped flint heads unethical? Where do we draw the line?

This is the danger in the path ESRD is taking; if it is not listed in the regulation it WILL BE ILLEGAL to use for hunting, period. End discussion. Not open for interpretation. Capiche? Currently there is only a list of what is NOT allowed for hunting / big game hunting (<.23 calibre firearms, bows that don't pull >=40lbs, arrows with a <7/8" cutting head, poison, traps, aircraft, etc.). The new direction they are taking is the real issue that we should all be concerned about.

You may trust ESRD to do this right, but I sure don't.

LC, you never answered my questions.

Last edited by Pudelpointer; 04-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.