View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Without exception, these standards apply to manufactured products; be they hard goods, soft goods, or consumables.

Atlatls, spears, knives or clubs used for hunting are unlikely to be commercially manufactured. A flat bow, no matter whether someone makes it for themselves or for someone else will never fall under some government standard. Neither will spears or atlatls..... or the horrific "bag of rocks"; nor should they. These tools are very personal and user specific.

Are we going to regulate the type of material darts are made from? The type of wood? The type of material of a broad head? Must it be steel? Are knapped flint heads unethical? Where do we draw the line?

This is the danger in the path ESRD is taking; if it is not listed in the regulation it WILL BE ILLEGAL to use for hunting, period. End discussion. Not open for interpretation. Capiche? Currently there is only a list of what is NOT allowed for hunting / big game hunting (<.23 calibre firearms, bows that don't pull >=40lbs, arrows with a <7/8" cutting head, poison, traps, aircraft, etc.). The new direction they are taking is the real issue that we should all be concerned about.

You may trust ESRD to do this right, but I sure don't.

LC, you never answered my questions.
Kind of backwards thinking... or reverse perspective... there are definitions for legal hunting implements in alberta as to what a firearm has to consist of, same with a muzzle loader, same with a shotgun legal for birds , and yes archery equipment... anything outside of that definition should not be declared legal until standards have been set and presented to ESRD by the relevant stakeholder group. having these standards being set is very important as then it reduces controversy, argument and division of our hunting community.

Having the definition for legal hunting implements is important as well as a process for stake holder groups to be able to present information to make revisions as necessary to include changes whether they be technological advancement or to roll back technology to increase a hunter's satisfaction....

Someone may get satisfaction from dropping an elk at a kilometre with a special long range rifle, another with a self-made bow, or another with a crossbow, or another with some other type of currently legal tool.

I have to applaud the ability for omeone to harvest an animal with an atlatl because to me s just way cool!...I believe it that a definition is needed to preserve the rights of an atlatl-hunter (aka spear chucker) to pursue game in their chosen manner.

Ethics and morals are what ones own person believes... collective ethics, or social ethics usually get codified somehow into either a practice or even law.... Whther or not I am against something should not be relevant. the relevance is whether or not the tool is capable of providing a relatively humane deathe (is death ever humane is another argument) in the harvest of an animal.

Think of this we are not dragging in bears with meat baited hooks into nets where they can be clubbed while helpless for harvest which is analogous to fishing.

No matter how nice we try to make it we are taking the life of an animal regardless of the method, we just want it to be as quick as possible NOT FOR THE ANIMALS BENEFIT... but for our own, we want to salve our own conscience..... Nature is very cruel, watch a pack of wolves take down a moose and there is nothing humane and ethical about that in my own view... but the wolf really does not give a ****... it is just doing what he can to survive.... I guess maybe wolves did not get the memo!....as to what constitutes a legal tool for harvesting in Alberta.

the vast majority of people are so insulated from what is actually done to provide them with sustenance that I cannot wait until civilization fails... or the pandemic comes, or nuclear holocaust, or zombie apocolypse, whatever and wipes things back to the Stone Age....then maybe we might want to know how to use an atlatl...