Thread: Bear defence
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Spray is highly effective when it comes to almost every type of bear and the studies prove it and my experience using it backs it, but as stated above the best defence is being bear aware. People get hurt more when they use a gun rather than not due to being injured and/or ****ed off. I’ve had to use it twice, once with a sow with cubs and once with a boar. Both times they backed off quick and left. Not sure if I had waited that they might have backed down but wasn’t waiting to find out. In 4 summers working every day in BCs backcountry I ran into many bears and not one of them seemed to want to eat me. I would’ve hated it if I killed the sow though knowing now that she left with her cubs and no injuries sustained by me.
A handgun would be nice as a backup though if one did get mauled. Nice and close but could push more injuries onto you if the bear is only wanting to put you down and then leave but now it’s ****ed off and going to kill you.

https://above.nasa.gov/safety/docume...vs_bullets.pdf
I do not have experience with Grizzlies, but I agree black bears are a minimal risk. Spent 17 years in a mountain town and some seasons I would see them every hike, bike ride, run I would take - often with cubs.

Always carry bearspray just in case... but never come close to using it. I am fine with people carrying a handgun in the backcountry, but I do not see it as something I would ever want to bother with for black bears.