View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not sure if I’m understanding you correctly,but are you saying that leaves or lack thereof increases your success rate of more moose called in relation to total number of attempts?
If that’s the case,I think the simplest explanation might be that sound just simply carries better when the leaves are down,thus making your calling more effective over a broader area?
That's exactly right.

I've heard a lot of guys say the rut doesn't kick in until the leaves are gone but that is not what I have experienced. I've had them come to a call in August, long befor the leaves even start to change color.

Befor the leaves fall, I find calling from an elevated position ups the chance of a response. I have had good success calling from the hills along river valleys in mid September.
Calling along the edges of a natural meadow seems to up the odds as well.

The second issue I see is knowing what habitat the Moose utilize at different times of year. There the leaves or lack of is important because they are indicative of the type of feed available and thus where the Moose are likely to be. It's not that they aren't rutting, they are not where you expect them to be.

A lot of guys seem to think that calling only works during the peak of the rut. I find that to be incorrect. I've called them in the middle of August and as late as mid November. I do amateur wildlife photography and calling is one tool that I use to get better photos.

Another mistake I think inexperienced caller makes is thinking if they don't hear a Moose reply or moving through the forest toward them, then there was no response.
A Moose can be incredibly quiet if it wants to be. At the peak of the rut they can sound like a freight train coming in. Huffing and puffing and stomping on sticks but early in the rut they often sneak in undetected and dead slow.

When I was learning to call, more then once I gave up too soon and then found fresh tracks right where I was sitting, the following day.
I think a lot of guys blame their failed attempts at calling on anything or anyone but themselves. And leaves are a handy excuse.

Bottom line, If it's not the peak of the rut, it's a very good idea to wait longer then you would during the peak of the rut, before you move to a new location or give up all together.

I also think a lot of guys use the wrong call for the stage of rut they are hunting, and then blame their lack of success on the leaves or the rut being over or not yet on.
Grunting may be quiet effective during the peak of the rut, but at other times, grunting can work against you. And that can lead some to believe the Moose aren't responding to call, which leads to the false conclusion that the rut is delayed or over when it's not.

The world is full of guys that think they are experts after one hunt, one success, one anything.

The more I learn, the more I find that I don't know.

George Bernard Shaw