View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM

I had a mauser 96 in 6.5x55, it shot so well it was almost boring, which seems fairly typical of the 96's that I've shot. That rifle had the barrel cut down to 20" and was nicely sporterized, carried and handled as nicely as any bolt gun I've handled. After hunting with it a few seasons I've come to feel that the 6.5x55 is one of the best deer cartridges ever invented, it has just that perfect little amount of overkill while remaining very easy to shoot.

Between me and my wife we killed quite a few deer and one moose with that rifle, using factory Fusion ammo. Killed everything we ever shot with it very quickly and was a pleasure to shoot, almost made a guy wonder why he even bothered more powerful rifles at times.

I ended up selling that rifle to a co-worker and despite making a standing offer to buy it back shortly after I never did get it back. I've decided that if I could ever find a Husqvarna 1900 carbine chambered in 6.5x55 I will be making room for it in my safe. But really, if you can learn to love the little Mauser 96 quirks, I don't think all that much is gained from going to a more modern rifle.