View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD View Post
I was thinking of bringing the fly rod to rawson. Thanks for the info flyfisher. I'm taking the wife, so hopefully she will paddle me around lower k while I fish lol. I wouldn't mind hitting a big trout in in the lower,but if that's not working out, rawsons always a nice option. Thanks again.
No worries.
You can also use the fly rod in the lower lakes. A streamer (I've had luck with white ones in the past) close to the bottom is usually productive, especially if you find a location where the bottom drops away fairly quickly from the shoreline. I've only fished it earlier in the season when the fish are close to the surface after the ice goes out, so I have no idea if that would still work now that things are a bit hotter. Hopefully someone else chimes in with a bit more experience / information.

As for Rawson, we basically hiked around the shoreline to almost the other side of the lake until we found what amounted to a small-ish bay where the bottom dropped away from the shore and didn't see the need to move all day long.

Depending on how lenient the wife is, I'd suggest fishing in the morning at the lower until the wind kicks in and roughens up the lake. Have some lunch, do the hike in to Rawson, and fish for a while up there. After you come down the wind should have mostly died down for the night at the lakes and you can try for a few more bulls before heading back to your campsite for some dinner.

My own personal experience at the lower lakes is that the fishing is way more productive when the lake is calm and glassy, although that may just be because the lake really only calms down for the morning and evening when the fish are typically more active. Again, no idea if this is true or not for other anglers but for me as soon as the wind dies down the bullies seem to come out and play.