View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose smasher View Post
I had some free time today so I went out shooting with my crossbow to see how close I could get to the original posters results. I was also shooting off a proper bench rest with my Excalibur exomax which shoots a 418 gr. bolt at a chronied 333 fps one foot in front of the stirrup. I have been shooting a crossbow for several years now and I shoot regularly. I personally won't take a shot past forty yards but on the range why not.

The very best group I could shoot at fifty yards was about four inches and I thought that was pretty good.The OP was doing some amazing shooting because his 100 yard groups were better then my fifty yard groups and I practice a lot. My hat is off to him for being able to shoot so well because that kind of shot is way out of my league for sure. I won't say that kind of shooting is impossible but it is for me and I shoot more often the the average archer does for sure. I do not believe that any first time shooter could shoot three inch groups at 100 yards with a crossbow,I just don't see it.

How practical is taking the scope caps off and dialling the scope up 46 clicks in the field for a hunting shot? Its not practical at all. How many clicks up for say 91 yards or 67 yards? If a compound shooter is skilled enough to make those kind of long shots they will have their sights already set to that or very close to it.

This Xgun stuff is down right offensive.As is calling crossbow hunters unethical,poachers with no hunting skill. We are all hunters and we should be sticking together not fighting over stupid things or trying to stick to personal elitest belief's .More hunters is a good thing for hunting not less.

I think the extreme elitests are far worse for hunting then crossbows ever could be.

Goose smasher

" More hunters is a good thing for hunting (not less)."

I agree, as a General rule.

Now let's relate it to the thread....

How does allowing Crossbows into the Archery season turn into "More hunters"?

Are you suggesting that crossbows in the archery season will increase recuitment to the hunting community at large?

Are there people not hunting because crossbows are not allowed in the Archery season?

More people wanting to hunt in the Archery does not always translate into more opportunity. The recent Antlered Mule Deer draw changes are an example where under present hunter management policy increased numbers of participants will REDUCE opportunity for hunters.

Is it easier to shoot yourself in the foot with a bow or a crossbow?