View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 09:08 PM

Spent some time on Sunday loading some 45-70.

Steps 1 & 2. After firing, I de-cap and then wet tumble to clean. Then a couple of hours to dry the cases. Now...on to case prep.

Step 3. Full length resizing to bring the fired case back into spec. With the big bore case, I’ve found that lubing is very important. I use a pad and then wipe the lube off with a towel after sizing.

A quick check with the case guage shows a perfect fit.

Step 4. Trimming. For me, a very important step. To get a consistent crimp later on in the process, the case length must be consistent. For the 45-70 case, I trim for 2.100”.

Step 5. Priming the case with some BR2’s from CCI. For me, I gave up on hand held priming units a long time ago after a failure just before a match. So I use my Co-Ax press primer.

Step 6. Time to flare the neck to accept the bullet. It might be hard to see, but the case on the left hasn’t been flared. The one in the middle has, and the one one the right shows a bullet placed into the case neck after being flared.

Step 7. Now, we’re ready for powder. My powder charge for the 300gr bullet for my Marlin 1895GBL rifle is 50gr of IMR4198.

Step 8. Time to seat that bullet. It’s important that you seat for a consistent OAL. In this case with the 300gr bullet, I aim for 2.5250” COAL.

Step 9. Lastly, it’s time to crimp the neck. Because of recoil in a tube fed magazine, a crimp is necessary. To have that bullet move in the case during recoil could lead to you having a bad day.

So, not too complicated. It’s actually fun for me. Your methods might be different then mine, but it should give the same results.

Now....I can get back to doing this...

Last edited by 6MT; 01-31-2021 at 09:14 PM.